Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2017

how to squeeze a little volunteering/random acts of kindness into your day-to-day!! ♥

Hey guys!

As the title suggests, today we'll be discussing how to squeeze volunteering into your day! I have a couple of tips I'd like to share to get in the giving spirit!

1. Microvolunteering. 

You guys, this is so legit. If you have even five minutes of free time during your lunch break or at night, you can do this. And it needn't be hard! World Microvolunteering Day is coming up; will you guys join me in making this year's rock? It takes little to no effort, unlike those stupid survey sites. You're basically being some awesome organization's assistant for  a few minutes. How cool is that?

2. Virtual volunteering.

So you want to stay at home, but you still want to volunteer. No worries! Virtual volunteering is SUCH a great option. Sparked is my personal favourite website to do this on; organizations may ask you for your opinion (not a canned, scammy survey! Just real people from the organization asking for help rating their website, etc.), or ask for someone to maintain the Facebook (great for those social media mavens!!)

Okay you guys. So you're totally lazy and you don't want to actually do anything. Sure, there's a volunteering option for you! My personal 3 favorite are BOINC, Tab for a Cause, and Goodsearch. 

3. BOINC

So BOINC is a great platform that lets you hook up all your devices (except for Apple mobiles and Windows mobiles!! boohoohoo) and some great organizations, such as SETI@home, will use your spare processing power while your phone/comp is charging. It's a win-win situation! I'd personally be very interested in asking the administration at my school to install BOINC on the computers. As far as we know, BOINC doesn't really affect the speed of the computers, as it stops running when a user is using the computer...

4. Tab for a Cause

An acquaintance of mine actually introduced me to Tab for a Cause, which I've really grown to love. It's an extension for Chrome, and each time you open a new tab (which, if you're like me, is ALL. THE. TIMEEEEE) you earn a 'heart', which is the virtual currency you can use to donate to charity... For example, if I opened 3 tabs, I have 3 hearts, which I can now donate to the charities Tab for a Cause has partnered with (users can choose which charities among TfaC's various partners.)

5. Goodsearch  

I'm sure most of you have heard of Swagbucks and Bing Rewards. And yeah, they seem great! Search and earn free gift cards! WOOT. But if you live outside of the U.S., you can't use Bing Rewards, and Swagbucks' search engine is slow, or so I'm told, plus the earnings are unpredictable and sporadic. So if you're looking for a way to give to charity with no money out-of-pocket, look no further! Goodsearch lets you raise 1 or 2 cents per search, and the search is powered by Yahoo! (which is powered by Bing, so pretty much you get great-quality search.) The best part about it, for me, is the amazing feeling of accomplishment you get when you see how much you've earned. In fact, I'm almost at $100! Crazy, right? :) I almost can't believe it myself!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting cats + cantaloupe! I'm so glad you came <3 Please take the time to leave a message-- your comments and thoughts are always appreciated! <3 I'll always reply :D