Pages

Monday, November 17, 2014

Double Crochet Zippered Pouch pattern

<scroll waaaaaayyyyyy down for the pattern>

Well. It's been a while, hasn't it? :P

I've been a bit more active yarn-wise recently. I can't explain it. I think it's because of the crafting kick I've been on since Halloween, when I made a mask and a wire hairband for my school's charity crafting club, the Star Jar Club (link). And after midterms, I felt that I literally had nothing better to do! Plus, the weather's getting cold now, (even landing me with a cold), so I thought it would be nice to pick up those needles/that hook again. While I realized I had forgotten how to cast on for knitting (silly me) I still knew how to double- and single-crochet, so I made this pattern for a double crochet zippered pouch. It is fully lined with coordinating fabric. Hope you guys enjoy! I was thinking about making more stuff for Star Jar, and I realized that since Nerd Girl Yarns is hosting the Winter is Coming NGY Giveaway Game right now, I couldn't not participate! Hope you guys come and check me out on my Ravelry, as well!

Ravelry pattern notes:
~~ 

Hello! This is a pattern for making a zippered pouch. It is my first ever pattern so please bear with me!

You can customize the size of your pouch to your liking. I made a small-ish one, 12 dc across by 6 rows. I would not suggest going above 6 rows, as it is a pretty good depth already. I believe that you could, in theory, stretch it to 7 rows, though. However, you may decide to make more stitches across than 12.

Basically start with any yarn that will work with your size hook and that you feel comfortable with; I just used Red Heart Super Saver. You will also need two pieces of liner fabric to go on the inside that are a bit longer and wider than you want your pouch to be, in order to account for seam allowance. Also, you will need a zipper in the desired size, or, if you cannot find one small enough, there are tutorials all over the internet that will tell you how to tack, or shorten, a zipper.

This is a perfect scrapbusting project as it uses very little yarn to crochet up 2 rectangles. It is also very beginner-friendly and is suitable for a first crocheting project, although sewing the liner may prove a bit more tricky and requires the use of a sewing machine if one does not wish to undergo the laborious process of hand-sewing.

A note before you begin, though: You will crochet two rectangles. Please note that the finished pouch WILL be smaller than the rectangle, due to "seam allowance" when flipping it in and out. Please allow more room. To be safe, if you wish, chain 13 instead of 12 if you want the finished product to be 12 stitches across.

~~~~

Double Crochet Zippered Pouch

Author: Dana Chiueh

Materials

  • Yarn 1: Worsted or DK weight yarn, around 30 yards
    • I recommend Red Heart Super Saver or Caron Simply Soft for inexpensiveness, but you can definitely use any yarn you wish that is in the DK-Worsted weight category!
  • Yarn 2: Worsted or DK weight yarn, around 5 yards 
    • in the same, coordinating, or contrasting colour. 
    • You will need this to sew the pouch outer together.
  • H/8 (5mm) hook
  • Yarn needle
  • 2 pieces of coordinating fabric in a bit longer and wider than you want your finished pouch
  • A zipper*
  • Fusible interfacing or felt (optional)


*best if you could find a zipper that is the exact size, but you could still tack it if you cannot find a correctly sized one.

Gauge

I did not feel that this was necessary, due to the fact that it's merely an accessory, and that it uses so little yarn, but to provide for comparison purposes:
6 dc stitches by 2.5 rows was 2 inches square for me.

Procedure:


Crocheted Outer
  1. Using Yarn 1, chain 12, + 2 for the first dc
    • note: if you want there to be visual interest with "holes" on the edges to create a lacing-like effect, chain 12, + 3 for the first dc.
    • also, you don't necessarily have to chain 12. If you want a pencil-pouch length, you would chain maybe 30 or possibly even more. 12 is a rough guideline for a coin/money purse size.
  2. Turn and dc into the third/fourth chain stitch (chain #12, right before the extra chain stitches); continue to dc.
  3. Turn and chain 2 (or 3) and repeat.
  4. Stop when you want. I stopped after 6 rows. Bind off, and weave in the ends with a yarn needle.
  5. Make another identical rectangle. Set both aside.
Lining
  1. If you wish to have a sturdy pouch, now is the time to attach the fusible interfacing or to sew on the felt. 
    • Beware though, that if you are making a small pouch it may become quite bulky with the addition of the crocheted outer.
    • Note that the wrong side of your fabric or (if using) the unattached side of the fusible interfacing/felt coordinates with the crochet yarn, because you will probably be able to see through the small gaps in the yarn. Meaning, don't pick an atrocious felt colour like grape to go with your orange crocheted rectangles, unless that is by design.
  2. Place your two pieces of fabric right sides together and sew on three sides, leaving the top free.
  3. Clip corners and cut off all excess fabric. Set aside.

Construction

  1. Put the two crocheted pieces right sides together (if you have a preference for which side looks better). Using a yarn needle and the same yarn, stitch them together with overlock stitch, leaving the top free.
    • Use the same yarn unless you want to create visual interest.
  2. Turn out.
  3. Put the lining inside of the crocheted pouch, being careful to put the wrong sides together.
  4. Using a sewing machine, stitch the lining opening and the crocheted pouch opening together.
  5. Tack the zipper, if necessary.
  6. Turn the whole pouch inside out, and attach the zipper.
  7. Open the zipper and turn the pouch back to the correct side. Smooth. If using cotton yarn, you may iron. Ironing acrylic yarn is not recommended.
  8. You're done!!!
~~~~


That's it for today, everyone! Hope you like the finished product! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting cats + cantaloupe! I'm so glad you came <3 Please take the time to leave a message-- your comments and thoughts are always appreciated! <3 I'll always reply :D